Friday, March 6, 2009

My Diary - The nightmare of coming off Efexor XL

3 comments:

  1. This is March 2009, I have been taking Efexor Xl for the past 7years having successfully gotten off Seroxat. I managed without anytype of antidepressant for a few months and then BANG the awful withdrawal symptoms that I had gone through with Seroxat began to surface, waking early in the morning with a feeling of free floating Dread anxiety, sick stomach,a dreadful anxiety that made it impossible for me to carry out daily tasks. Of course, my trip back to the psychiatrist entailed my speaking about the symptoms, Ifelt that having been on Seroxat for so many years [nearly a decade] that I was learning how to live without the Chemical Lobotomy that is SSRIs. Shrink disagreed, said I was depressed and put me on... another SSRI one I was assured that wasnt addictive and had the added benefit of Noradrenaline as well as Serotonin so it would greatly help the Anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIRST WEEK OF MARCH ROSIE has been weaning off the drug on a very slow basis.This time I intend to get it right!! Efexor at its v high dose had given me something I never suffered from before,extremely high B.P. and Ive already had a T.I.A. So I decided, nope this has to stop. I do believe, that my past,my experiences in life, and my DNA predispose my to depression and Anxiety. However, I have grave reservations about SSRIs. Now if theyre working for you, thats cool!!! But for me, my creativity went, my sexuality went, I felt as Ive said Chemically lobotomised. Id watch a TV Documentary about starving children, it would register on an intellectual level but I would feel no real sense of sadness. Surely something that does this cannot be good for the Soul. Also, I believe that there is a 'poop out' that is, when you take a certain amount [as I did] 75mg for a long period, it no longer works and the body needs more, much like the Benzodiazepines of the 60s. Thats another story, having been put on Valium at 14 and told they were non addictive and trying to tell my GP that I couldnt stop taking them without awful withdrawal symptoms. I digress...Soon I was taking a higher and higher dose. Efexor has a shortlife, meaning that it goes out of the system quickly, it does however take a few days to a week to feel the full Gazup of going down a dose and must be done slowly, with support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. march 26th Ive been on 75mls now for over 4 weeks. Im really feeling the effects now but am very happy that ive come down from such a high dose. Ive had panic,dizziness, head'jerks' anxiety, morning anxiety with churnig stomach and racing thoughts and of course... rebound depression. However, have been eating quite well and trying to do all the things im supposed to like good nutrition. Each time that I feel dreadful with a Moodswing, I just talk to myself and tell myself that its the tabs. Ive read dozens and dozens of websites and blogs on Efexor Xl and we cant be all wrong can we? ITs harder to come off than Seroxat. The headaches, free flowing dread is pretty awful but I am happy that I am doing this .... s l o w l y. My skin is better and has lost that awful yellowy tinge [jaundicy look] and has got much softer, my eyes are clearer, my tongue cleaner. Ive lost some weight and sexuality has come back abit...yipee!!!! I can feel... fear yes but am feeling, sadness, awful dreams about things that happened years ago, I feel this must be catharthic in some way?? I dont even believe that the pharaceutical companies know just how these drugs work on the various parts of the brain. This happend before coming off Seroxat.. amazing nightmares and reoccuring dreams. keep u posted.

    ReplyDelete